This House of Boys

This House of Boys
This House of Boys

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Tips from a busy house: The Roaster Chicken

One of my purposes for this blog is to give you tips when dealing with an over scheduled home. One great tip is the roaster chicken.

A staple on my grocery list is a $4-$5 bird that I bring home and cook the day before trash day. (Planned for the chaos of smelly trash!)

I cook a chicken at least once a week, but this is a meal without a plan. This is emergency food and when you have 7 people in one house you need these kinds of emergency foods.

The chicken is a crock pot item, so no work is taken in its preparation. When it is cooked I shred it up and store it in the refrigerator. Often times it becomes chicken salad for lunch for my husband (who's lunch I pack daily) and my lunch, as I work from home. Because it's ready to serve and only needs to be warmed it is a great warmer-upper meal when the family is running from one event to another. Stir in some BBQ sauce and slap it on a bun for an easy BBQ chicken sandwich. Throw it on a salad, mix it up with cheese and corn tortillas for chicken enchiladas, warm it up and serve it as the main course.

Proteins are so important, and so many times when we are running we grab that easy bite to eat. If good lean proteins are in our fridge and ready to heat it is much easier to keep our meals and snacks healthy!

So next time you're at the store spend $4-$5 on an emergency meal instead of $20 on a Super Sized value meal that will just make your family super sized.

No comments:

Post a Comment